Saturday, April 07, 2007

Cars!

Sorry for the sideways picture, blogger and I fought and blogger won.


On Thursday, Drew and I went on a date to dinner and Target. (Only parents would consider Target a date!) And while there picked up an assortment of prizes for Sage to tempt him to use the potty. We got some trains, cars, a book and some sidewalk chalk. At breakfast, we explained the only rule: poop or pee must come out of his body while sitting on the potty. We put them in a basket at eye level.

Later, I asked if he needed to pee. He said yes and he successfully pushed out enough drops to earn his first prize, a new train. We called dad. I promised to build a track while he napped. When he woke up from his nap, I asked if he wanted to sit on the potty and he said "No tanks. " A couple minutes later, he came running from the living room yelling "Mama, me need to pee on potty!" We ran in and got him situated and sure enough, he peed! A good amount! We called dad, got a prize and told him he was done with diapers and we are going to Target to buy pull-ups and Cars underwear. He was very excited and very proud! We hooped, hollared and cheered like he had scored the game winning touchdown or hit the last second shot or thrown his first shut out.

We got home, he was so excited for his new Yighting McQueen underwear that we had to put them on immediatly. Of course, we ended up with a puddle. But then he finished on the potty so that was encouraging.

This morning, he ran from the living room to the bathroom with one fist raised yelling "Me get new Cars book!" And he did earn it. And ever since, he told us he would rather wear the pull ups. I asked it is was because the pull up caught the pee and it didn't run down his leg like the underwear did. He agreed and we left him in a pull up. I don't want to push it but I don't want him peeing in a diaper because it is more convenient for him. I wonder what will happen when the basket of prizes runs out. I kind of don't want to know, afraid that I have started a battle that I am not willing to fight. I guess only time will tell.

And that is a whole post all about potty training and this is only the first 2 days!

1 comment:

  1. wasn't it so nice to walk around Target without any temper tantrums and walking leisurely holding your honey's hand??? I totally agree that is a great date - even though I would much rather a movie and dinner.

    Congrats for the potty - Drew won't go all the time, but he could care less about prizes - saves me some money though

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!