Saturday, January 21, 2006

New baby, New ways

I have been thinking more about how I am going to be with this new baby. And I think I am leaning toward a mixture of attachement and scheduling. Does that make sense? For example, Sage slept one or two nights in the same room as us besides when we travelled. This baby is actually going to be sleeping in a co-sleeper right next to me. (A friend is giving it to me after her last baby outgrows it.) I am excited for this and concerned all at the same time. I am excited to try it but am worried about such things as my husband waking the baby early in the morning. It isn't uncommon for Drew to set the alarm for 5:30 or 6:30 and I don't want to start my day at that time. And I wonder how well I will sleep. I will probably get used to all the baby noises but I do wonder. I am also going to try swaddling this baby. Sage was born in July and it always seemed too hot and I ended up letting him sleep on his tummy because he would wake himself on his back by flailing his arms. I bought this cool Kiddopotomus swaddler that is the right size and uses velcro to keep the baby tight. And I have a Baby Bjorn carrier that I imagine I will use a lot more with this second baby than I did the first. Errands such as grocery shopping and trips to Target will be made easier if Sage can continue to sit in the seat which means to have room to buy anything, I can't put the carrier in the back but need to also have my hands free to grab my purchases. It sounds so exciting and new and scary!

I have decided not to take Sage out of his crib. Maybe we will try around his two year birthday which would make the baby 4 months old. Then we will see about making the transition fromour room to Sages room. The co-sleeper can be used until he is 6 months old and then if we have to, he can sleep in the pack-n-play. Sage does so well in his crib and he seems so little for a huge bed. Not to mention that he stands up and jumps in his crib and talks to himself which usually buys me a bit of time in the morning before I get him out of bed. I wonder too about how I am going to feed both boys right away in the morning. Sage still gets a sippy cup of milk warmed up right away in the morning and I always hold him while he drinks it. It is like our cuddle, wake up time. I don't want to give that up. I am just not worrying about it and hoping it works itself out!

I am also going to try desperatly hard to get this baby to take a pacifier. I just like the idea that it will calm the baby, reduce the risk of SIDS, and when I think he is too old, I can throw it away. Have I mentioned that Sage has just recently started wanting a pacifier? Only in the car, but I am thinking I should throw them away so that habit gets kicked before the baby comes. Silly that at 18 months, he all of the sudden is interested in a pacy.

I am getting more and more excited to see what this baby looks like. I think I have been so preoccupied with how I am going to handle two kids that I haven't thought too much about how sweet it will be to have a newborn and change 10 - 12 diapers a day and to nurse every 3 hours and to not get a full night of sleep and to be spit up on and to see his first smile and to watch him grow and develop and interact with Sage. There will be good times and bad and I am guessing that the good will outweigh the bad!

I am 31 weeks yesterday, down to single digits for how much time is left. I bought the changing pad mattress today for our dresser. We still need a dresser and I need to wash the clothes, and buy the double stroller. Not too much to do. After we decide about a dresser, that will help so I can organize Sage's room. Currently, he has a stack of clothes on top of his dresser. Some for next winter for him and some of the babies and the babies are scrunched into half of his dresser. I also need to buy a storage container and put away Sage's t-shirts from last summer that don't fit anymore. It won't take that long, just waiting for a dresser decision. We thought about buying plastic drawers from Target but that will be a temporary solution for a long term problem. Anyway... I need to give Sage a bath and put him to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!