Monday, October 13, 2008

Reason #485 Moving Stinks

Moving stinks for a number of different reasons. My reason for today is doctors. I hate finding new doctors and then waiting to actually see them.

I made appointments for the boys in June or July for November for regular pediatric appointments. Sage's will be his 4 year old check up and Kolby will be because Sage is going and why not? I can handle that, they aren't really needed for any specific reason.

And, I'm not going to mention that the new OB I've been seeing just informed me that he is moving his office to about an hour away. Oh, and that the pediatrician that the kids are seeing are dropping our insurance come April. I'm trying to pretend that isn't happening.

But, Kolby needs an orthopedic doctor for his feet. His last check up was February 2008. The first available appointment is February 2, 2009. That is a year in between check ups. And there is the small detail of the shoes that he wears to bed every night. He is starting to outgrow them. And at the appointment, I need all his medical records. Which I knew. But my doctor in Connecticut said the new doctor will be able to get them, I didn't need to worry about bringing them with me. WRONG! I have to have them all at the first appointment.

Lesson learned: Do not leave a state without all your medical records to take with you. And, once you have gotten those records, make copies and keep them so that if or when you move again, you will have the first set to take with you to a new doctor. And don't forget to get your current records!

I feel like I have failed Kolby. His feet give me no reason to think that I need to take him to the doctor, but I would like that confirmation from a doctor.

I dragged my feet in scheduling his appointment and finding a doctor because there is one Ponseti certified doctor in Houston. And he of course, is not in our insurance plan. So, I haven't wanted to make an appointment with someone that I don't know what they are going to say to me.

Part of me thinks that the doctor will say, "His feet look great, let's discontinue the bar" and then Kolby will relapse. I am pretty adamant that he wear his bar until he is at least 4. He expects to wear his shoes and bar and sleeps better with them anyway.

It will take a lot of faith on my part to discontinue use of the bar. When he wears the bar, I am doing something. When it is over, it's in God's hands. Actually, it has always been in God's hands. He's got the whole world in his hands, including Kolby's feet.

Breathe in, breathe out. I already feel better. I might have failed in getting a doctor appointment sooner, but God has it all in his hands. I've done my part, the appointment is made. I'll fax the release forms to Connecticut today and then I'll wait on the Lord.

Writing everything out makes me come to my senses. And after re-reading this, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone but me and maybe my mom.

4 comments:

  1. It makes perfect sense, Punkin and I think you need to remember all the accolades you received in your excellent care of Kolby's feet - day in, day out, naps, nights, therapies, over two and a half years now....you are right - it is in God's hands! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like you are doing all that you can do! and i can tell you as a physical therapist that there are LOTS of parents out there who DO NOT take care of their kids' feet...or legs...or heads...or any other numerous body parts with various orthopedic conditions. you are doing a great job, don't be too hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get it!
    I just took Scotty to his first peds appointment and the doctor had never heard of Elecare, his medical formula!!!!!!!
    It's an HMO so now all I can do is wait to see if they cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I would have know to carry out our medical records. Our Peds office in STL only faxed the immunization chart and weight - none of his breathing issus stuff. Then when I tried to get all my OB stuff sent - they charged ME for the records to send. Oh I was frustrated.

    God is big and I know that he will work it out. He hasn't failed you yet!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!