Saturday, May 05, 2007

I'm Feeling Guilty

Two words. Birthday Parties.

I haven't thrown a birthday party for either of my kids. Not a party where other kids are invited. We have had some of our friends over for their birthdays, though. Sage's one year, we had some Italian neighbors who came down and brought a pie for his cake. That wasn't American enough for me so I baked a cake and we had our own family celebration. I guess they did bring their little boy who turned one two weeks prior. Sage's second year, we had our friends Deb and Doug over for some cupcakes. Kolby's first year, we had Deb, Doug, Katy, Jeff, and Jeff. They were all over the age of 24. See a pattern here?

Sage's third birthday, we will have just moved about a month and a half earlier and will be living with Drew's parents. So obviously, they will celebrate with us, as will his sister. I don't have plans yet so maybe some more family will be around and that would be exciting because we haven't had family around for our kids birthdays.

Kolby's second birthday (I know way too far away, but I think ahead), I will probably feel more guilt because if we have a party for him, we should have a party for Sage and for Sage's fourth birthday, we will have just moved again (Lord willing) to who knows where and who knows who we will know.

Now, normally, I wouldn't feel guilt for not throwing my kids birthday parites. But, other parents throw their kids parties and invite my kids, usually feed us something and have fun activities for us. Here is where the guilt comes in. I am not recipercating the birthday party invites. Isn't that the dumbest thing?! That is the guilt I feel. But then I try to justify myself, well, we bring gifts to the parties. Does that make up for the lack of return birthday party invite? NO! Because, there are other people at the same party who had parities for their kids and recipercated the gift and the party.

Oh, the guilt!

1 comment:

  1. One of my friends in STL does bigger parties on odd birthdays (1, 3, 5 etc) We didn't do big parties this year of Drew and Ally and Ally realizes it since she had the big ones before. The gift thing - I would have never thought of that - we always asked for no gifts from our friends unless you want to!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!