Friday, February 01, 2008

Scratch That

Remember all the hoopla over the house? Yeah, we can't get a loan. We have to show proof of income and since our income won't be starting until after we move there... we'll be renting, again.

But, I have decided to take the optimistic approach. It will be really good for us to rent because we have never lived there before so while we rent, we can figure out where we want to live. We can drive around, go through open houses. We can figure out where we frequently go, stores, church, etc. And look around those areas. We can figure out what commutes would look like in different suburbs and such.

At least, today, I am taking the optimistic approach.

I am not going to let myself think about moving twice, packing up twice, the cost of the storage unit, the cost of moving twice or the fact that we don't know anyone in Houston and won't have help moving. I'm not going to think about that because that would be borrowing tomorrows troubles for today. God doesn't give me the grace to deal with those things before I need it. One day at a time. God knows. He knows best. He will take care of us. This will work out for the best. I know it.

5 comments:

  1. I want to give you a hug and puff some wind back into your sails so to speak but I think you are wise about the positives of renting and the benefits it will afford. Do you have some connections in Houston for a little help in finding your rental?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you are going to hate me for saying this, but did you actually know you will probably be in a BETTER position? you will have time to figure out exactly which part of the city you want to live in; where the cool stores are (Target!), etc., without having to decide all that right away. You will have a 'pulse' of the city before you dive in!

    Do you watch Friday Night LIghts? All about Texas highschool football. I now think of you when I watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to get a loan because I got the offer of what I would be making in writing from the company. Signed and official, the bank was OK with it.

    It will be good to be able to look around though - and there are short term leases out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Houston is a huge city and you really will benefit from having some time to scout neighborhoods and schools and grocery stores. And don't despair about that second move just yet - I have lots of time-tested ideas on moving when you don't know a soul. We've done it and you can too.

    Keep the faith...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too had that problem when we got our first mortgage. We had the company write a letter saying Carl was going to make X amount of dollars and that he was in fact employed by the company and then we had no problems. Have Drew talk to Carl if you want to know more. I can see the plus side of renting for awhile though too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!