Thursday, July 12, 2007

My Child is Branded

I don't know how it happened. Well, maybe I do. I might have let him watch tv and play with toys. I will even admit to encouraging Thomas! And here is my reasoning. It's a train. He likes trains. And he likes Thomas but guess what, he doesn't love it. He doesn't seem to love anything in particular. He will watch Cars over and over and we are throwing him a Cars themed party, but he doesn't see stuff and have to have it. He recognizes it. Like McDonalds and Starbucks. He calls McD's, cheeseburger, because that is his favorite thing to eat there. He also recognizes Target. Someone once told me that it is a form of reading.

While driving, he talks constantly. He tells me he needs things like a truck, a race car and his newest obsession, convertibles and RV's. I point out all the Jeep Wranglers and the Jeep Unlimiteds. Because someday, I will have one. Someday. My hair might be gray or gray under the blonde highlights and my underwear might be called granny, but I will have one. Way off track here.

But, I do have lines that I won't cross. I will not ever buy him or my other children character clothes. I hate, despise them. Then, the other day, I was at Target and saw some Car sandals, and thought about how much joy he would get when wearing them. I totally almost bought them for him. And then I remembered it would be cute for a day and then I would be annoyed. And, he has worn some character pajamas, they were hand me downs and he didn't have a clue who Buzz Lihtyear was, at the time.

I like that Sage is constant in liking cars and anything musical. He plays air guitar and drums all. the. time. He plays with matchbox cars endlessly. I don't think that branding my child could be avoided because of the world we live. But, I do want to teach him the importance of contentment and the difference between need and want. But really the importance of contentment. It is a lesson that I can learn and relearn every single day.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the character clothes. The only ones they own are ones given by aunts and uncles. Also how can you go to Disney World and not buy a mickey t-shirt??

    I am impressed that he isn't obsessed with something - you must be doing something right!

    Curious - update on Kolby walking? I was praying for him this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!