Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Car Accidents and Chiropractors

On July 4th, at the fireworks celebration, there was a tent set up with a sign that said "Free Massage". It turned out to be a chiropractor's office and they were doing free evaluations. I have been having low back pain for a while so I sat down and he could feel that my lower back was definitely out. He gave me a coupon for my first visit free, including x-rays. Yesterday, I went and did the first exam and got x-rays and scheduled my follow up for today. Today, when I went, I had to take the boys, which he said would be totally fine. (They were great.) He showed me the x-rays and showed me that my spine isn't straight but totally leans to the left. Then he showed me the x-ray of my neck. A normal neck is supposed to have a 35 to 40 degree curve. Mine is at negative 13. Not good. And, totally explains all the headaches that I have been having. So, there is some serious work to be done to straighten out my spine and get my neck to curve the right way again. I will be going three times a week for six weeks. That is a long time! He also popped my lower and upper back in to place and started my neck. I can't say that I feel better today. I have a really bad headache and just feel achy. But, there are other things to blame these things on, so I don't know what is caused by what.

He also said that my neck could only have gotten so out of what from a car accident and whiplash. We were in what I thought was a minor accident which I can't even remember when it was. I know we were wearing jackets. And it was cold and we were on our way home from having lunch at a friends house after church and there was a baptism at church that morning. And I am thinking that if I have whiplash, maybe the boys do too? And what about Drew? We were all in the car. And then my next thought is this. The boys were in the car, in their car seats, which we didn't replace. If I could get whiplash and not know it, can the car seats be damaged and we can't tell? Should we replace them? Is there someone, somewhere that can check them?

And I am afraid to ask him about the sling. My spine pulls to the left, the side that I wear Kolby. And it has become a necessity in my life.

And he says he can help with Kolby's consistent ear infections. So many decisions!

10 comments:

  1. NO! Do not go to a chiropractor!! I'm sure someone will read this and flip, but I worked for a surgical device company (just doing all the web work) and had to publish all sorts of statistics.. at the same time my ex-boyfriend of 3 years was a spine surgeon.

    The statistics of people who are injured BY chiropractors is really high.. and my ex had 3 patients in his first month of private practice who were not just hurt, but completely paralyzed by chiropractors.

    One was a 22-year-old man who just went in to have his spine manipulated.. he was already caring for his wheelchair-bound mother - and he had a new baby. One pop and he was paralyzed from the neck down.

    Only a spine surgeon or orthopaedic surgeon can properly read x-rays to see small problems that might exist.. problems that, if manipulated incorrectly - could cause bigger problems.

    Honey - don't go back!!! And don't take Kolby!!

    Now I'm worried!! I've read all the statistics - they aren't good. If you're having problems, go to a doctor.

    email me if you need to.

    Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure what Holli said is probably true, but I had lots of headaches and spine problems about 6 years ago. I did go 3X a wk for several months and then 2X and then 1X and then every other week and then once a month and was going about 1 a month for the past 4 years until now since I don't have a new one. I have several friends that have done this and it works - if you keep up the exercises that they give you - at least for me. My headaches that I had are pretty much gone.

    Talk to Jenni Sabino or Threasa Dodge. I remember them using it for colds and potty training which is another story at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristi! I emailed you but I was unsure if you were who I think you are - does that make sense? Anyway, I am glad to see you have two beautiful boys! We have three kids, two girls and a boy and are waiting on an adoption.
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now I know that you are the Kristi I know!! Your boys are so cute! I would love to hear more about you! The zoo you went to looks a lot like a zoo in the city where I live! Ok, enough. I won't overwhelm you anymore. Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Chunk. Chiropractors are a fraud in my opinion. They usually create more problems than they fix and then they have clients for life. If you have back pain, see a REAL doctor. Only doctors can accurately diagnose. Also, I know slinging Kolby is helpful, but not at the expense of your back. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristy, I would hesitate to go to one that has you come back so often. I know with mine, it's usually one visit and I feel a lot better. I went to one in IN once that wanted me to come that often, and I didn't think it did a thing for me. To be fair, it was right before we moved, and I didn't finish the whole course. Anyway, call you later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Mindy Sue - going back so often seems to me to be a red flag.

    Can you email me your snail mail address asap?

    P.S. you can get your car seats checked at any police station.

    look at all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I don't like the bait and switch. You thought you were going for a massage...and then it turned out to be a chiropractor? That doesn't seem right to me. A chiropractor is NOT a massage therapist. it seems deceptive, like they're trying to drum up business. get a 2nd opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. maybe a diff sling for kolby? if you are planning on 4 or 5 kids you want a healthy back!?!?

    ok i will stop taking over your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom and Dad vote you get a second opinion too!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!