Thursday, January 18, 2007

Almost MIA

We finally returned home from a month long hiatus called "My husband went to China for 2 weeks right after the new year and I am not staying 24 hours away from all relatives while he is gone." Whew.

Sage, Kolby and I moved from house to house for almost a month, stayed at 4 different places, took Kolby to the ER once, gave him countless albueterall treatments and amoxicillan for a double ear infection. I was so looking forward to being home. My own stuff! My bed! My car! My kitchen! My space! My kids beds! Then, the morning we were supposed to get on a plane and fly home, I got sick. I felt awful. But that was not stopping me. Drew arrived home the day before and I was not going to spend one more night away from him. I showered, dressed the boys, packed the bags, loaded the van, strapped in the boys, and stopped at Target for Immodium AD where I was told the manufacturer says it's not safe for nursing moms, American Academy of Pediatrics says it is safe. I took the second opinion. And it worked! I still felt awful and nervous for action down there. But I made it.

The plane was delayed. Kolby had already missed his morning nap. Finally on the plane he konked out while nursing. But then Sage needed a dvd switch and with the rummaging, he woke up, never to return to lala land again while flying. He was so fussy. I kept trying to nurse him, switching sides, he would suck then start crying. I was rocking him and rocking him. He was the kind of fussy where it wasn't constant but as the mom I felt like I had to constantly soothe him because i just didn't know what would set him off. But i kept telling myself, make it to baggage claim, Drew will be there and he will solve everything.

As we got off the plane, Sage wanted to walk and then said "Me, wet." I look down to see his jeans are drenched. I had changed him before the first time we were supposed to get on, not the second and actual time. So, what I thought was going to be a 4 hour diaper (long stretch, I know but how was I going to change it on the plane with two kids) turned into about a 6 hour diaper with a couple of milks and juices so his ears wouldn't hurt. Do you think I had extra pants for him in my carry on? No. Kolby? Yes. Good planning. I found a bathroom, changed him decided to go myself and then change Kolby also. Drew starts calling. I explain. He keeps calling as I am trying to push a double stroller, carry my overflowing carry on, not drop or roll over our coats and not think about the fact that my 2 year old is sitting in the stroller wearing no pants. And I am out of breath because I am so sick and I am sweating.

I answer as I walk in to baggage claim and say "I'm here, at baggage claim 2." I start looking for him, I just want a hug. I don't see him.

He says "I am here and all the luggage has come off and yours wasn't here."

I look around, see a piece of our luggage coming around the bend and say "I see a piece, come to baggage claim 2." We hang up. I collect all 4 pieces of luggage which now that I have all 4 bags, 3 rolling and one duffell, I can't physically move us and Drew isn't there yet. I move us to the side. I get an offer for a baggage cart then for someone to send a porter. No thanks, my husband will be here in one minute.

Drew calls again. "What airport are you at?"

"JFK"

"I'm at Laguardia."

I hang up, sit down in front of the stroller and sobbingly say "Sage, dada went to the wrong airport, he isn't here." Sage yells at me "No sad!" Like pull it together woman! Then a few minutes later, he is starts to cry, "Dada!" A nice man, a porter I think, helps me move out of the baggage claim and by a door. He refuses my tip. Kindness of strangers. I pull out the Starburst that I hadn't given Sage on the plane since he is demanding to eat and the machine won't take my $1 so I can buy crackers. About a half hour later, Drew is there, gets us to the car and we barely pack in our luggage and start the 1.5 hour ride home. I had collapsed into his arms, started crying and then he pushed me out and said "I'm illegally parked, we gotta go!"

When we finally got home, I collapsed into bed with chills and shakes. A day passed and then Drew and Kolby got it. Last night and today were no fun. I am exhausted and not sure why I am still awake.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my - I hate to say I laughed, but I sat here with my mouth opening in utter disbelief. I was going to call your mom several times, but figured you had gone back - now I wish I would have called - love you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day and bring a smile to my face, so thanks!